UPDATE from FC3 to FC4
People said FC4 looks better than FC3, therefore I wanna updated my Linux to FC4 before I make any further decorations on my fonts.
The easiest way to update is through yum, which is a package admin tool similar with apt on Debian.The kernel version for my FC3 is 2.6.9, I also wanna update the kernel to 2.6.14.
First, we need to get a new configation file for our yum, I got it from http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf . Replace /etc/yum.conf with the one we got, you may want to make a backup before overwrite it.
Before do anything else, make sure your yum has the latest version supported by your OS. Check this by,
#yum update yum
Although I know the latest stable yum currently is 2.4.1, my old system only support 2.2.2.Don't worry, get the FC4 release file from"
http://download.fedora.redhat.com
/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/fedora-release-4-2.noarch.rpm"
and run,
#rpm -Uvh fedora-release-4-2.noarch.rpm
This tell the system that we wanna update to FC4. Now run,
#yum update
This procedure includes dependecy analysis, downloading and updating of each package, it took
3 hours roughly for me.
If everything is fine, you should see the update is completed at the end. If some packages can't be accessed because of temporary problem of mirror server, just run it again.
Ok, now we can update kernel by type,
#yum update kernel
then reboot.
Be sure to update all packages before you update kernel, otherwise you may have problem loading the kernel.
Now you can see 2 options on grub menu when you startup, you can choose which kernel to load.
If you load new kernel, you might have some problem with your graphic card.Because the configuation files such as xorg.conf, xdm.conf were replaced with default ones during the update,
you have to reconfigue them to your requirement manually .
One problem I encounterd with my Nvidia driver is, I couldn't install the driver smoothly as before,instead, the installer said,
No precompiled interface found for the kernel....
When this happened, you need to make sure you have installed kernel-devel package by,
#rpm -qa|grep kernel
(run #yum install kernel-devel if you havn't )
Then during the installation of nvidia driver, let the system compile a interface to kernel.
Everything should work fine now.
Be careful with the version of kernel you loaded, you have to make sure the version of kernel-devel is exactly same with your load kernel, otherwise the installation of Nvidia driver will fail.